How many of you have always wanted to make your own comic/manga/whatever? I know I have.
The Japanese and Western comics and animated shows deeply influenced the Millennials of my homeland. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty surprised that the comic industry here in the Philippines hasn’t boomed into an industry worth hundreds of millions of pesos.
It sucks because I’ve been waiting for quite a while to read new stuff other than Trese.
I don’t mean to offend anyone. I’m not a comic junkie and I can’t debate with any local about local comics. I just like specific comics and I’m waiting for a new local one to enjoy. I really appreciate all the local comics I’ve read.
Four things triggered me to conceptualize this story I have in mind.
- My status as a self-sufficient person. I am equipped for survival and I have time to do stuff that makes me happy.
- The recent Hunter X Hunter chapter where Hisoka and Kuroro (Chrollo) fight to death.
- The recent side story of Naruto where Mitsuki, ‘son’ of Orochimaru, reveals his powers.
- A YouTube step-by-step tutorial on how to make your own manga.
There’s no deeper reason behind this sudden desire of mine. It’s just that these three factors reminded me that I once wanted to make my own comic. The only challenge that I face is my inability to draw.
Anyway, here are some information regarding my story. It’s not complete yet since I’ve just started like an hour ago. Here we go.
- 13 to 25 years old
- people who love action and adventure
- Euphoria, competitiveness, ‘testosterone’, thrill, fear, empathy
- Two-way purpose in life: duty as a loved one and an unknown purpose that’s yet to be found
- A realm made up of five major states, several small ones, and one capital
- Capital – Industrial revolution New York
- Warrior states – Asia, Pacific, and North American cultures
- Holy and mystical sites – Mideastern, Indian culture
- Ancient sites – Mesoamerican, South American, African
- Mainly magical and industrial in nature, a hint of technology, and a little bit of medieval and bizaare
- Main plot
- Protagonist is forced by his people to go on a quest to save his brother, a powerful revolutionary leader, from the government, who denies their involvement.
- Protagonist is a decent person at best, a certified individualist, and borderline opportunist.
- Protagonist is torn between his self-interest and his love for his people, who see his brother as their last hope for a better life
So far, those are the only ideas I have. I’ll update this blog post if more ideas come out of my brain. I’m still tweaking my weekly schedule so I can’t promise yet that I can make time for this regularly.
How about you? Do you have any plans to start your own comic or even a book?
See you the next update! Feel free to drop a comment if you want to know more. I’ll gladly respond.